Freight forwarding logistic services are any services related to the transport, storage, handling, packing, or distribution of goods. Products traded abroad from their point of origin to their final destination by a carrier company or a freight forwarder, but who manage all these transactions happening worldwide?
And the answer is FIATA, it is the source for information on international laws and rules regarding the logistics. It assist freight forwarders making managing their procedures easier, putting clears forms to documenting, and even conducts training.
In this article we will explain all about FIATA, its goals, members, documents and its diplomas.
What is FIATA?
Federation of Freight Forwarders Associations (FIATA) it is known as “the
global voice of freight logistics”
Was established as a non-governmental organization in 1926. Representing companies that offer supply chain management and trade logistics services on a global scale. In essence, FIATA develops documentation and forms in order to establish a global standard for freight forwarding.
5 Main FIATA Objectives
- Bringing the transportation sector all over the world together.
- Representing and speaking up on behalf of its members' interests and the transportation sector’s needs and presenting solutions by engaging with the World Trade Organization United Nations agencies and other international organizations.
- offering promotion to freight forwarders companies by Spreading the forwarder’s services information to industrial companies,
- Putting specific standers for freight forwarders companies services, in addition to assisting with the developing and improving the quality of these services.
- Offering training services and presenting a legit license for forwarders, teaching everything about logistics from regulations, insurances and even the tech used in logistics like bar codes and logistics labels.
FIATA has established an international standard for document use by freight forwarders, they are valuable tools that support global trade and aid in the facilitation of cross-border trades.
- FIATA Forwarders Certificate of Receipt (FCR)
- FIATA Forwarders Certificate of Transport (FCT)
- FIATA Warehouse Receipt (FWR)
- FIATA Forwarding Instructions (FFI)
- Negotiable FIATA Multimodal Transport Bill of Lading (FBL)
- Non-negotiable FIATA Multimodal Transport Waybill (FWB)
- Shippers Declaration for the Transport (of Dangerous Goods) (SDT)
- Shippers Intermodal Weight Certificate (SIC)
How many members does FIATA have?
FIATA consists of 113 Association Members and over 5,500 Individual Members, overall representing an industry of 40,000 freight forwarding and logistics firms worldwide.
And FIATA Organizational Structure is made up of
Presidency; which is in charge of the organization's executive management,
Extended Board: serves as the Presidency's advisory body.
Headquarters Team: a team that works under the direction of the Presidency that develops and executes FIATA's strategic plan for the organization to achieve its goals.
Each year the members meets to hold elect leadership and members; validate the annual report, budget and financial statements; and approve business conditions and regulations.
How funds FIATA?
Admission fees, membership dues, donations, and revenue from specialized services provided by FIATA are the sources of revenues used to support the organization's operations.
FIATA General Meeting
General Meeting is planned once a year, where a written invitations must be sent to Association and Group Members at least six weeks before the meeting's start time.
General Meeting's duties:
- Amendment of the Articles of Association.
- Admittance and exclusion of Membership.
- The approval of the FIATA's annual report on its actions.
- Acceptance of the auditors' financial statement, the budget, and the financial accounts.
- Agenda modifications and extensions.
- Electing and dismissing the Presidency.
- The selection and removal of the President, the Secretary General, the Treasurer, and the members of the Presidency.
- The selection and removal of the Extended Board's elected members, the auditors and honorary membership.
- Confirmation of the removal of the Chairmen of the Institutes, Regional Committees, Standing Committees, and their Designated Representatives.
- Determining the membership category and the amounts associated with the various contribution rates.
- Acceptance of terms and guidelines for doing business.
- The founding, dissolution, and merging of institutions.
Getting FIATA diplomas offers holders a great chance to improve their freight forwarding skills and get knowledge that can only be learned through formal education. This will make it easier for them to advance in their careers, especially given the global perspective and widespread acceptance of FIATA diplomas.
Plus FIATA diplomas is a great benefit for logistics companies, it guarantees that their employees have enough knowledge, they will be able to acquire qualified information that match both their customers’ needs and the global standard for logistics.
And FIATA offer two types of diplomas:
FIATA Diploma in Freight Forwarding:
The freight forwarding diploma from FIATA consists of 14 modules total, and they cover all the essential subjects for freight forwarders, including multimodal transportation, sea freight, air freight, customs processes, and information and communication technology in freight forwarding.
The degree has a great reputation in the field of logistics and is recognized globally. It gives holds access to the methods in the field and helps them acquire the knowledge and skills necessary for the freight forwarders sector.
FIATA Higher Diploma in Supply Chain Management:
FIATA supply chain management diploma is for the graduates of the FIATA Diploma in Freight Forwarding, it serves as a progression pathway and consists of 7 modules, including global purchasing, contract management, production management, and operations management.
Here is a guide to how to
apply for a FIATA diploma FIATA Diploma Application process.
FIATA has helped freight forwarders greatly through the years, it serves as an umbrella for all freight forwarders in the world, and works to enhance the freight forwarding sector's reputation and acceptance through public relations efforts by regulating rules that’s helps business trust working with freight forwarders.
Freight forwarders are
indeed important for any manufacturer, someone that helps you to get around the complex logistical procedures. You
can check the following article to see if your business needs a freight
forwarder or not. 5 Freight Forwarders Benefits for your business.